To help travelers and airport visitors plan their travel to and from San Diego International Airport this weekend, the Airport Authority is informing the public and media about the following construction activity anticipated at and near the airport May 21-23, 2010.
City of San Diego work on Harbor Drive:
The City of San Diego’s Public Utilities Department will be making connections to a new
water main installed as part of the City’s Capital Improvement Program to replace old
water and sewer mains throughout the City. To accommodate the above work, for periods of time between the hours of 9 p.m. Saturday, May 22 and 9 a.m. Sunday, May 23:
- The airport’s Cell Phone Parking Lot will be temporarily closed.
- One of three lanes on eastbound Harbor Drive near Spanish Landing will be closed.
- One of three lanes on westbound Harbor Drive near the Coast Guard Station will be closed.
Beginning Friday evening, May 21, a portion of the airport roadway directly in front of Terminal 2 East will be closed to prepare for demolition of the Terminal 2 East pedestrian bridge. Removal of the bridge is necessary for construction of the dual-level roadway in front of Terminal 2 West as part of The Green Build expansion project. To accommodate the above work, from Friday night (starting no later than 11 p.m., but possibly as early as 8 p.m., depending on traffic flow) through Sunday:
- A minor detour will direct traffic around the demolition area.
- The curb front around the demolition area will also be closed.
- The detour will temporarily close the curb front in front of Terminal 2 East for passenger drop-offs and pick-ups, but the curb front at Terminal 2 West will be available to accommodate passenger drop-offs and pick-ups.
Due to unforeseen circumstances, such as inclement weather, the above schedules may change. Travelers should plan ahead and allow extra time as it may take longer than usual to arrive, park, get to the terminal, check in and/or pick up passengers at the airport as a result of these activities.