Ah, college! … The best four years of my life! Speaking of which, Horizon Airlines recently unveiled a new aircraft honoring my alma mater, the University of Washington. Go Huskies!
As any college student can tell you, an internship is an integral part of your education and preparation for “The Real World”.
Here at San Diego International Airport, we’re wrapping up our Summer College Intern Program. This year we welcomed 13 students representing nine schools and eight states, with a a varied set of majors and backgrounds. My intern, Travis, graduated from Oklahoma State University in May and he did a fantastic job this summer. Thanks, Travis! Each student worked in a different department at the airport, participated in weekly activities and attended airport-wide events. Here they are:
From left to right (with their university and the airport department where they interned):
- Travis – Oklahoma State University – Airport Planning
- Keith – CalState LA – Facilities Management
- Chase – Baylor University – Procurement / Small Business Development
- Jill – Purdue University – Terminal Development Program
- Wesley – Louisiana Tech University – Noise Mitigation
- Shelia – Ohio University – Aviation Security
- Andrew – Purdue University – Marketing
- Tim – Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University – Aviation Security
- Hannah – San Diego State – Human Resources
- Andrew – University of North Dakota – Airport Operations
- Jennifer – UC San Diego – Public & Community Relations
- Russell – Inter-Governnmental Relations
- Armin – San Diego State – Facilities Development
The activities gave students a behind-the-scenes look at the airport and an opportunity to make professional contacts and new friends. The intern program is part of the Airport Authority’s Careers in Aviation initiative.
I want to thank everyone that helped put on the program — it is a great experience for both the interns and all the staff. A huge thank-you to Carol and Michelle in Human Resources for taking care of the summer’s logistics.
If you are interested in next year’s program please see the Airport Authorty’s career website. Recruitment usually begins in mid-January each year.
Until then, study hard!
Filed under: RYAN (Airport Planning Department) |